Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Day the Earth Moved

Our mother earth is as complex as the universe, so they say. So complex that sometimes or oftentimes things that we have no control of whatsoever happens. I have witnessed a lot of tragedies, calamities in my existence. Some mild to moderate, some really beating us pretty hard. Typhoons, floods were a common thing but earthquakes?  I can barely remember or if there even was , luckily we weren't directly affected.


I am a person of great faith and even in the most crucial times of our lives, I guess our faith is the only thing that we can hold on to. February 6 was just an ordinary day for me. Typical Monday that it was. I was up to do my usual daily chores. Then at around 11:58 am something happened in faraway Cebu that made my world stand still. A 6.9 magnitude quake hit Cebu and most parts of the Visayas. I was numb. My initial reaction was to grab my phone and call my mom but to no avail all I got was "connection failed". I was terrified to my wits and was so worried I couldn't think clearly. Then I got a text message from my sister that they were ok and safe. i have never been scared in my entire life. It pains me to be so far away from my family while something critical was happening. I guess that was the time I prayed the most .


Relief came to me when finally I was able to talk to my mom . They were a little shaken up, panicking but safe. I guess it was another a-ha moment for me. After Ondoy, this event was another realization that indeed life is short and is full of uncertainties. As swiftly as the days pass,  time ticks too. And so I say, live each day as if it were your last. Do things you have long been wanting  to do, value the people you love, waste no time for we never know what the future brings.


Life is  short. Make it count.


Just my two cents...xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment