Sunday, August 28, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

I was in church yesterday hearing mass when something struck me. I was sleepy ( sorry Lord) during the homily, and so to keep my eyes open I decided to do people watching. i enjoy doing this. I have been doing it since I was little, just letting my eyes wander and looking around at people , trying to read minds ( feeling David Blaine) or just merely observing. Then as I was looking around , i can't help but notice little stories around me. There was this little girl around 5 or 6 yrs old although quite naughty teasing her baby brother then grabbed his feeding bottle and fed him. Then there was a man who offered his seat to an old  lady who just came in, a boy around 12 y.o carried his baby brother for his mom and said " ako naman kakarga ma! ".

Scenes like these touch me ..and then I thought wouldn't the world be a much better place if everyone did little acts of random kindness? If little kids can do it, why can't we? I believe kindness is contagious and should be a worldwide epidemic.. I have been offered kindness many times in my life and I guess it is just fair to pay it forward. It is truly a win/win situation. the person you are being kind to benefits through your help while you in return feels good having helped another.

So where do you begin?

To get you started, I have listed 20 ideas below.Put them into practice and also create your own:-
  1. Send someone a hand written note of thanks.
  2. Make a card at home and send it to a friend for no reason.
  3. Buy a lottery ticket for a stranger.
  4. Help an elderly cross the street.
  5. Smile to everyone you meet.
  6. Call a family member and just say I love you.
  7. Give up your seat in the train for somebody not just an elderly person.
  8. Compliment a waiter or a server in the restaurant.
  9. Send someone a small gift anonymously.
  10. Stop and help someone replace their flat tire.( can i really do it? )
  11. Let someone jump the queue at the bank.
  12. Call a friend and tell her/him you miss them.
  13. Treat a friend to the movies for no reason.
  14. Give a huge tip to someone when they least expect it.
  15. Hold the train door open for someone rushing to get in.
  16. Give up your seat for someone, not just an elderly person.
  17. Write notes of appreciation at least once a week.
  18. Talk to a homeless person and have a “normal” conversation.
  19. Pick up some rubbish in the road which would otherwise be lying around.
  20. Compliment a work colleague for their excellence.
And the list goes on and on.. These may be simple acts but will greatly make an impact on somebody else's life. Happy people creates a happy environment, thus a better place to live in for everyone. And remember, you only get what you give. :)

What goes around is sure to come around – happy helping :-)

just my two cents...xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment